The purpose of the Building Control regulations is to ensure the health, safety, welfare and convenience of the community around buildings and to protect the environment.
Building Control aims to fulfil these goals by endeavouring to safeguard the community against poor design, poor building practice, public health and safety issues. Working in harmony with other design professionals, the combined objectives are to improve the environment.
The following services are provided by the Building Control:
- Examination of plans - submitted under the Building Regulations
- Inspection of building work
- Regularisation certificates - retrospective approval of work
- Information & advice (Building Regulations) - information provided on any aspect of a building regulations application
- Advice provided on fire safety aspects of design for premises that require a licence for public entertainment
- Property Certificates
- Energy Management
- Cinema Licensing
- Postal Numbering
- Dangerous Structures
- Free pre-consultation services
- Standards to be expected
Building Control will endeavour to:
- Reply to applicants within 21 days of receipt of Building Regulations application for domestic and 35 days for commercial schemes
- Complete same day site inspections made when requests received before 10am
- Accept telephone requests/queries responded to at any time during normal working hours
- Be flexible in meetings with Building Control officers (on-site or at Council offices)
- Provide specialist advice on fire safety aspects of designs for buildings
Extensive information about Building Control Services and the Building Regulations can be obtained from Building Control Northern Ireland.